Volleyball leader earns Academic All-MAC honors

Volleyball may have ended its season, but it still has reason to be happy this week, as junior outside hitter Kaitlyn McIntyre was named to the Academic All-Mid-American Conference team.

McIntyre was a constant source of pride for her team and coaches throughout the season on the court.  Now she has proven to be a source of pride inside the classroom as well, as this is her second time achieving Academic All-MAC honors.

The exercise science major has earned a 3.88 grade point average at Central Michigan and was awarded in her sophomore year for her academic success.

On the court, she played an all-important role as the team’s outside hitter.  Many times her serves and clutch hitting fueled comebacks for the Chippewas.

McIntyre was second in the conference in overall kills per set, with an average of 3.93.  Totaling a mark of 389 kills on the season was good enough to rank 10th in the MAC.

On October 4th at rival Western Michigan, she became the 16th player in school history to record 1,000 kills.  A feat that many do not reach until their senior year of eligibility, McIntyre was ahead of schedule this season.

After she reached the 1,000 kill plateau, Olson looked upon her achievement as an impressive yet inevitable, mark.

“We knew it was going to happen,” said Olson after McIntyre initially reached the mark.

McIntyre was scouted early on from head coach Erik Olson from her hometown of Beaver Dam, Wisc,.  The two have developed a level of confidence in one another over the past few seasons.

The Chippewas now look forward to next season, where McIntyre will be a senior leader of a team that failed to make the MAC Tournament this season.  Just a handful of years removed from its 2011 MAC Championship, she would like to hoist that trophy for one final time.