Balanced scoring attack not enough as men's basketball falls at Miami

Central Michigan men’s basketball traveled to Miami  (Ohio) Wednesday and fell 86-80 to remain winless in the Mid-American Conference.

CMU had a balanced attack on offense as five Chippewas scored in double figures.

Sophomore guard Chris Fowler led the team in scoring with 19 points, followed by Austin Keel, John Simons, Braylon Rayson and Austin Stewart.

Forward Blake Hibbitts just missed the double-digit scoring party with nine points of his own.

The RedHawks swept the season series against CMU with the win.

Stewart continued his stretch of having quality games by adding 10 points, four rebounds and two steals.

Head coach Keno Davis spoke of Stewart's potential after the game.

“I think I said this about a month ago on Austin Stewart,” Davis said. “He is just scratching the surface. That’s exciting to see. He will continue to improve as we move our program forward.”

Keel came off the bench for the third straight game after starting the majority of the Chippewas games this season.

Davis said he likes how Keel has responded.

“I sat him down and talked with him,” Davis said. “Every player wants to be a starter but he has given us a boost off the bench and shown good production. He is improving in his role.”

One of the weaknesses that Davis mentioned was his team’s strength and power against Miami. CMU is a relatively small team with no truly dominant post player.

Davis hopes his 2014 commitments will help turn post play from a weakness to a strength.

“We have a commitment in Luke Meyers,” Davis. “He is a 6-foot-10 post player that will help us in that regard. We can’t stop there though, we have to continue to add players that will improve our weaknesses and Meyers is one of those guys to look for in the future.”