Campus expected to reopen tomorrow, CMU officials say

Central Michigan University officials expect campus to reopen Wednesday, according to Steve Smith, CMU director of public relations.

"I fully anticipate school will be open tomorrow," Smith said. "It was one of those things where nature keeps dealing us a one-two punch. It was not a safe day to have our students outside."

After weeks of record-low temperatures, Central Michigan University cancelled all classes Tuesday at its main and Global campuses.

The decision was announced Monday night in a news release from University Communications. 

"We made the decision about 10:15 p.m.," Smith said. "It was simply taking a look at what the forecast was and the safety of our students and staff."

According to Smith, the frigid weather was deemed too much for students and staff. Along with canceling classes, the university suspended operations in all buildings and offices across the campus, with the exception of residence halls.

"Historically speaking, we have never closed simply because of the cold," Smith said. "In my 17 years, we have never closed because of the cold."

Employees working in 24-hour operations – whose services may be needed during the closure – were asked to contact their supervisors for specific instructions on reporting to work. All other employees were not expected to return until the campus reopens.

CMU’s last snow day took place on Feb. 8, 2013. Classes were also cancelled twice in 2011, due to the weather.

University of Michigan announced its first snow day since 1978. Other state universities closed included Eastern Michigan University, Grand Valley State University, Saginaw Valley State University and Mid-Michigan Community College.