Chippewa Chat: Braylon Rayson

10_RaysonBraylon

Braylon RaysonChippewa Chat is a profile series in which Senior Reporter Seth Newman will get to know the routines and quirks of some Central Michigan University student athletes. 

Get to know Dallas native Braylon Rayson, No. 0, who is beginning to make a name for himself as a freshman guard on the men's basketball team.

Keno Davis: I think when we started building this program over a year ago, we looked at the point guard position as the most important one. We realized we would be successful having two points guards on the court at the same time with Chris Fowler and Braylon. (Braylon) can get a shot off at anytime. I think he gives us a scorer’s mentality and, as he continues to take higher percentage shots, you will see high scoring totals go up. He is very dynamic; he is exciting for our fans to watch.

SN: Why did you commit to CMU?

BR: I really committed to get away from home. I never really got out of Texas. The farthest I went was on weekends for AAU travel. On my visit, I felt like it was home for me. The weather was nice, at least during the summer time. The weather was beautiful here ... I felt like I was just at home and this was the place to be.

SN: What’s your favorite thing about Mount Pleasant?

BR: Have you ever been to Culver's? That’s my spot.

SN: Who was your favorite basketball player growing up?

BR: Growing up, it was Allen Iverson and Michael Jordan. As I got older, I looked up to Pierre Jackson because he was a small guard at Baylor. He made a lot of things happen on fast breaks, and I try and do similar things.

SN: Who is your celebrity crush?

BR: Oh it’s Meagan Good, that’s got to be my crush.

SN: What are the top three songs on your iPod?

BR: 1. Type of Way - Rich Homie Quan 2. No Ceilings Mixtape – Lil Wayne 3. Slow Jamz – Kanye West

SN: What do you bring to the basketball team?

BR: I bring a lot of energy and (I) am another scorer for the team.

SN: What are your goals for this season?

BR: I want to win Freshman of the Year and a Mid-American Conference championship.