CMU seeks campus, community stakeholder feedback for master plan process

Central Michigan University is holding master planning process sessions this week. Students, faculty, staff and community stakeholders are invited to contribute ideas and feedback to the meetings.

The upcoming charrette will allow CMU officials to receive input and recommendations on conceptual designs for new signage. The charrette will last four days and will be conducted by AECOM, a global provider of professional technical and management support services that helped CMU officials create the master plan.

Open house sessions will be held in the Lake Michigan Room of the Bovee University Center from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Jan. 15, and 8 a.m. to 11 a.m. on Jan. 16. During these sessions, AECOM representatives will gather feedback from participants and stakeholders to create recommendations for the look and feel of campus.

The final presentation of AECOM's design plans and recommendations will include suggestions for gateway signs at designated campus entry points, building identification , vehicular and pedestrian directional signs, as well as parking identification, kiosks/maps and district identifications. This session is set for 8 a.m. on Jan. 17 in the Mackinaw Room of the U.C.

After the final presentation, two more charrettes are planned to gain further community input regarding the look and feel of campus. The sessions are tentatively planned for the weeks of Feb. 10 and March 3. Times will be communicated via a campus-wide email.

CMU's master plan, which is designed to look 20 years into the future of CMU's layout and navigability, has been in the works since 2011.