Football team promotes two offensive coaches

BerryButch

Central Michigan football announced the promotion of two offensive coaches Tuesday evening, replacing the loss of offensive coordinator Mike Cummings.

Head coach Dan Enos moved quarterbacks coach Morris Watts into the role of offensive coordinator.

Butch Berry, CMU's tight ends coach for four seasons, will now be the Chippewas offensive line coach.

“Coach Watts and Coach Barry have been hard-working, devoted members of this staff and I feel they will excel in these new roles,” Enos said in a statement released by CMU athletic communications. “With almost every offensive starter returning, I felt continuity was important as we continue to build a championship program.”

The position was left open after Cummings accepted a job in the same position at the University of Connecticut, last week.

Morris-Watts

Watts’ most recent stint at the helm of a Division I offense was at Miami (Ohio), where he coached the RedHawks offense to a 2010 Mid-American Conference Championship and a bowl victory.

“Coach Watts has made a big impact on our quarterbacks during his time here and he is one of the most experienced, knowledgeable offensive coordinators in college football,” Enos said.

Barry’s most recent work as an offensive line coach was at Michigan Tech.

Under Barry’s leadership, CMU tight ends caught 31 passes for 341 yards and three touchdowns.