Gymnastics scores season high in win over Ball State

Gymnastics started their Mid-American Conference schedule successfully on Sunday, scoring a 195.8 to top Ball State during the Flip for a Cure meet at McGuirk Arena.

After an early season upset from the Cardinals last season, the Chippewas were determined to keep their undefeated season alive.

“I had revenge,” said senior Emily Heinz. “We opened the door to them last year and let them think that they were better than us and we needed to shut them down this year."

CMU took advantage of the meet on the bars. A 9.9 from junior Kylie Fagan and a 9.85 from senior Brittany Petzold helped the Chippewas to a 49.125 on bars.

The Chippewas also scored a 49.125 on floor to close out their first MAC victory of the year. Becca Druien finished her all around with 9.8 on floor and Halle Moraw with a 9.85.

A few individual performances took CMU to their best scores of the year, four 9.9 performances, one in each event.

Sophomore Taylor Bolender scored a 9.9 in her floor routine and a 9.85 on the bars.

With a seasons best 195.8, head coach Jerry Reighard couldn’t help but be happy they came so close to their team goal of 196.

“This is what I see in my head when I think about us competing,” said Reighard. “ The performances are what I expected, I know as the season progressed along I continued to say 196, I know what we do in the practice gym and today we saw most of it.”

The meet started similarly to the competition against William and Mary, as CMU continued to struggle on vault, until the Petzold sisters turned the meet around.

Brittany Petzold, coming off of her shoulder injury, scored a 9.825. Her sister Kirsten finished with a 9.925 to finish the rotation.

“I though the moment really shifted with the Petzold sisters on vault, and I am really proud of Taylor Bolender on bars,” Reighard said.

Junior Halle Moraw completed the meet for the Chippewas as usual with a stunning floor routine. One judge gave Moraw a 9.95 while the other scored significantly lower with a 9.75.

Reighard immediately walked over to the judges table and had a quick conversation with the judge that gave the lower score.

“I asked him if he meant the score that was flashed, sometimes they get the numbers goofed up. I couldn’t justify it in my head,” Reighard said.

The Chippewas look forward to Saturday when they will host the Michigan-Illinois Classic at McGuirk Arena.

The University of Illinois at Chicago, Illinois State, Eastern Michigan and CMU will compete in a quad meet beginning at 2 p.m. and will close out the Chippewa five-game home meet stretch.