Michigan RB Thomas Rawls plans to transfer to CMU this fall

thomasrawls1

Central Michigan football will reportedly gain a major offensive asset next fall.

Flint-native and University of Michigan running back Thomas Rawls told The Flint Journal that he plans to transfer to CMU after graduating from U-M in May.

Rawls’ grad-transfer would give him one year of eligibility at CMU. Central Michigan football officials could not comment on Rawls’s situation.

“We can’t comment on (Rawls) because he is not a student here,” said Rob Wyman, director of Athletic Communications.

Rawls told the newspaper he has decided to transfer to CMU to better his chances of playing in the NFL. The tailback also said he was “promised things that didn’t fall through.”

Rawls was highly recruited by CMU head coach Dan Enos prior to his freshman season at U-M.

The Chippewas lost leading-rusher Zurlon Tipton to graduation last season after Tipton missed most of the 2013 campaign with an ankle injury. CMU running backs averaged a little more than 200 yards per game in Tipton’s absence.

Rawls averaged 12.3 yards per game and 4.6 yards per attempt, scoring five touchdowns during his three years in Ann Arbor.

The backup running back’s last touchdown came against the Chippewas in the Wolverines home-opener on Aug. 31. He had three carries for 12 yards and a score in Michigan’s 59-9 win against CMU.

If Rawls makes good on his proposed transfer to CMU, he would be part of a new-look offense in 2014. CMU announced the promotion of quarterbacks coach Morris Watts to offensive coordinator earlier this month.

They finished ninth out of 13 teams in the Mid-American Conference in total rushing offense in 2013. The Chippewas finished 6-6 on the season and failed to qualify for a bowl game.