Students, local businesses gear up for Super Bowl Sunday

freddies_05_web

Andrew Whitaker staff photographer- Freddies Tavern is known for their cheap drinks and great food. On game day they are offering $5 pitchers and $1.25 pints from 9 p.m. through midnight located at 705 Adams St.

Noah Kappelman is not a football fan.

But as Central Michigan University students and local businesses are preparing for Super Bowl XLVIII, the Flint freshman can't help but tune in.

"I don't usually watch football during the year, but everybody watches the Super Bowl, so I usually just get together with my football-loving friends," he said.

The biggest football game of the year will air this Sunday at 6:30 p.m. on CBS, featuring the Denver Broncos and the Seattle Seahawks.

Local bars and restaurants, such as Freddie's Tavern, 705 S. Adams St., will offer various drink specials on Sunday, even though they expect to escape the patron onslaught impending upon other businesses.

"We have a couple of drink specials and a couple of pitcher specials," said Danielle Phillips, manager at Freddie's. "For us, Super Bowl is not unbelievably busy. Unfortunately, we're off the beaten path so some college students don't know we exist."

Phillips said Freddie's will offer $5 pitchers through the game, as well as certain shots available on each score, and Freddie's renowned family chicken special.

"It's a great deal for people that want to come in and get a bucket of chicken," Phillips said.

Riverwood Resort, located at 1313 E. Broomfield Road, is hosting a bowling event on Sunday. The event, running from 2 to 5 p.m., is titled "Super Bowl" as part of Big Brothers Big Sisters.

Following the bowling event,  pizza will be served to participants in the VIP bowling room. It costs $45 per lane, which gets customers unlimited bowling for two hours, shoes and a pizza with any choice of topping.

"Reserve a lane," said Jeremy Lawless, director of operations. "There's only a few left."

https://vimeo.com/85493033