Suspect in custody after stealing $1,600 worth of car batteries

The Isabella County Sheriff Department have arrested the man suspected of stealing $1,600 worth of used car batteries Friday from Walmart.

The 49-year-old Saginaw resident was arrested at his home Monday afternoon.

The theft occurred between 8 and 9 p.m. Friday at the Tire & Lube Express in the Walmart at 4730 Encore Blvd.

According to a news release from the ICSD, the suspect hooked a chain to the back of a green Chevrolet Silverado half-ton pickup truck, and used it to pull open the gate at a fenced-in area outside the auto mechanic, stealing 180 batteries.

“They noticed (the theft) early Saturday morning, shortly after they opened,” said Isabella County Sheriff Leo Mioduszewski. "People get a pretty good return (for selling old batteries). He was probably making good money on that."

Mioduszewski said video security footage was provided by Walmart and is the strongest piece of evidence in the case. The clip was included in the press release.

"A couple citizens ended up contacting us after recognizing him on the footage," Mioduszewski said. "They were at least acquaintances. They recognized him right away."

Mioduszewski said the suspect hauled 4,017 pounds of batteries in his half-ton pickup.

"He must have been having trouble steering," he said. "He was going down the road with all that weight in the back. The front end must have been almost off the ground."

The suspect's name has not yet been released.

Diana Gee, Walmart media spokesperson said the store worked with local law enforcement to identify the culprit, through public awareness.

“We appreciate (the) law enforcement’s help," she said. "We’re providing them with any information that might be useful to their investigation.”

In an email sent to Central Michigan Life and several other local news outlets, Mioduszewski explained the suspect will "most likely" be arraigned Thursday afternoon. He said a press release from ICSD will be released following the hearing.

Follow cm-life.com for more information in the developing story.