A-Senate Notebook: Ronan steps down as General Education Director

A1_ASENATE_3_web
Daytona Niles | Staff Photographer Vice President Of Global Campus Peter Ross addresses curriculum to the Academic Senate Tuesday evening in Pearce Hall.

Long time psychology professor George Ronan will be stepping down as the General Education Director of the Academic Senate.

After four years serving as the director, Ronan said he was ready to go back to being solely a faculty member. He has been a part of the teaching faculty since 1989.

"The administration has been great. I've been doing this for four years. It's time to let someone else carry it on," he said after the Academic Senate meeting on Tuesday.

Ronan said he believes he has served his time well and did everything he set out to do.

"Different people have different philosophies," he said. "I said I'd carry out committee work – I have. I said I'd help with university program courses – I have."

Ronan will continue to serve on A-Senate.

Ronan_George

Andrew Spencer, chair of A-Senate, said they will start the search for Ronan's replacement soon, but there is not a set date or a person in mind yet.

A-Senate adds doctoral degree, deletes guests services administration

Academic Senate also voted to delete the Guest Services Administration concentration from its corresponding administration major.

Representatives from the Undergraduate Curriculum Committee recommended getting rid of the concentration, which is available only to global campus students.

There are no students currently enrolled in the program, according to the Jan. 22 UCC meeting minutes. The program allowed students to receive a Bachelor's of Science or a Bachelor's of Applied Arts degree.

Aside from the course deletion, A-Senate voted to add a pathway for a doctorate degree in Education Technology (D.E.T.). Representatives from the Graduate Committee recommended offering the program.

The program, which exists solely online, would "prepare educators in the study of integration of technologies, supporting learning and teaching," according to the Jan. 29 committee meeting minutes.

It would require an accredited master's degree. If students interested in the program lack the required degree, they could receive a master's degree in Educational Technology from the program instead, but only after completing its required courses.

A-Senate also voted to remove the interdisciplinary status from the Gerontology Graduate Certificate. The motion was recommended by members of the Graduate Committee. The program will now be housed in the area of Human Development and Family Studies.

The Gerontology Advisory Council will be dissolved as a result of the removal. The GRN designator will also be deleted.

All current GRN designated classes will be changed to HDF course designators.