Enos adds 18 to roster on National Signing Day, adds QB depth

Editor's note: This story has been updated to correct a misspelling. 

The future of Central Michigan football was made public by head coach Dan Enos on Wednesday at his annual National Signing Day press conference.

A total of 18 recruits make up the class of 2014, each of whom Enos said fits the mold of what a Chippewa should be.

“All these young men have been investigated character wise,” he said. “It’s very important that all of these guys are a fit for our culture here.”

With the departure of quarterbacks Alex Niznak to graduation and Darrien Boone to suspension, Enos was forced to recruit heavily at QB.

The Chippewas signed passer Ryan Lamb, a transfer student from Palomar College in San Marcos, Calif. Lamb threw for 1,443 yards and eight touchdowns in 10 games in 2013 at Palomar.

CMU signed a second quarterback, true freshman Zach Oakley from Osceola, Ind., a four-year letter winner and three-year starter at Penn High School.

“We always want to take one (QB),” Enos said. “But we wanted to take (another) older guy because of an attrition we had at that position.”

Enos said the team plans to redshirt Lamb this season. Lamb has three years of eligibility left in the NCAA.

“With Cooper Rush and Cody Kater … I think it would be very difficult for him to come in,” Enos said.

Other key additions

CMU also made an addition to its special teams, adding Flint product Amari Coleman. The athletic high school senior brought all eight punts he returned in 2013 at New Lothrop High School back for touchdowns.

Enos joked that a coin toss decided which side of the ball Coleman would play.

“Everybody wanted (Coleman),” Enos said. “He’s got great ball skills and is a very good tackler. Those guys are hard to find. After we came to a consensus (on where to play Coleman) we left it up to Amari. He said, ‘Coach, I’m going to be a corner,' so we were happy about that.”

CMU's kicking game will have something to look forward to in the coming years as Enos also signed punter Cooper Mojsiejenko.

“The kid is explosive with his leg,” Enos said. “I think he could be a great kicker for us at some point.”

On the defensive side of the ball, CMU added two-time All-Conference selection and Chicago-product Malik Fountain.

“Malik is one of those guys that just looks like he wants to tackle you when he’s talking to you,” Enos said. “He’s just got that look about him. When you meet him, you just know exactly what position he plays.”

The fourth-year head coach said having a smaller class is “a good thing.”

“I know the early commitments and all that … you need to do that,” Enos said. “We want to be sure about every guy we bring here.”