Business feature: Auto-Lab serves needs of CMU students, community

arinbisaro-13-web
Arin Bisaro | Staff Photographer

An engine groans as a key turns over the starter, but it does not start.

For many students, problems under the hood can be solved at the Auto-Lab. The auto mechanic continues to serve as a AAA-certified auto repair shop for Central Michigan University students and Mount Pleasant residents who need a simple fix.

A high percentage of customers who come to the shop are college students with used cars.

Clawson sophomore Connor Winther brought in his 1993 Toyota pick-up truck for an oil change Friday, but it was not his first time coming to Auto-Lab.

Auto-Lab, located at 402 N. Mission St., is open from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday to Friday and until 2 p.m. on Saturday

At one of his four visits, Winther came in with a brake line leak. This damaged his truck's brakes, making it difficult to navigate the slippery winter roads while he worked as a delivery driver for Pisanello's Pizza.

Auto-Lab does not repair body work, but does offer estimates and will refer customers to places in Mount Pleasant for major repairs.

"The guys here are really good guys," Winther said. "I got rear-ended the other day and they gave me advice on who to go see for estimates. Cullen (Stearns) directed me to a couple of people."

According to workers at Auto-Lab, students account for the majority of cases.

"Students are about 85-90 percent of our business," said Scott Tyler, an Auto-Lab trainee mechanic. "Auto-Lab is actually from the Detroit area, so a lot of students that come here are from Detroit."

There is a noticeable slowing of pace in the shop during breaks, he said, proving students are a big part of the business at the repair shop.

"When the students are here, basically during regular college time, we are swamped,"  Tyler said. "During Christmas and summer, we do slow up because that's most of our business."

During breaks in the semester, the Auto-Lab sees a significant reduction in business as well.

"Summer months are usually a lot slower so it's kind of a nice break," said Auto-Lab service consultant Cullen Stearns.

Stearns added college students are the ideal customer at Auto-Lab.

"We target college students because it's the perfect audience," Stearns said. "They have second and third-hand cars with 100,000 or more miles on them."

And to Cullen, the regulars at his shop prove the mechanics are maintaining high standards.

"We get a few phone shoppers here and there, but most of what we get here is a lot of repeat business and you get that from doing your job right," Cullen said.