MSU student dead, another injured following shooting Friday

MSUPolice_web

East Lansing police officers stand in front of apartment complexes on the 200 block of Cedar street, Jan. 31, 2014. Danyelle Morrow/The State News

Michigan State University students gathered for a candlelight vigil Sunday night in honor of a fellow student who was shot and killed Friday.

Dominique Nolff, a 20-year-old from Middleville, was pronounced dead Saturday morning after suffering multiple gunshot wounds Friday night in his Cedar Village apartment, just off campus.

"This does not appear to be a random act," East Lansing Police said in a statement.

Nolff's roommate, a 20-year-old from Grand Haven whose name has not been released, was also shot. He was treated and later released from a hospital.

Police found the students after responding to a call at about 8:45 p.m. Friday night, MSU Police said in a statement.

As of Sunday afternoon, no arrests have been made in connection to the case. Police have described the suspect as a man in his early-to-mid 20s.

A1_MSU_candle_web
Political science senior Chris McClain holds a candle during a moment of science of a candlelight vigil held for hospitality business sophomore Dominique Nolff on Feb. 2, 2014, on Waters Edge drive. Nolff died following a shooting Friday, Jan. 31. Danyelle Morrow/The State News

Nolff, a graduate of Thornapple Kellogg High School in Middleville, was a second-year student majoring in hospitality business.

East Lansing police are leading in the investigation. Calls placed to East Lansing Police Capt. Jeff Murphy were not returned by press time.