Softball opens 2014 season with key returners, young outfield

b1-bottom-2013softball-web
Chuck Miller/Staff Photographer Senior pitcher Kara Dornbos delivers a pitch during an April 20 game against Toledo at Margo Jonker Stadium. Dronbos pitched all seven innings giving allowing only three hits as the Chippewas beat Toledo 3-0 to for their seventh straight victory.

Softball will look to repeat its successful 2013 Mid-American Conference campaign with a strong roster returning to fill the gaps left by graduated players.

In the 2013 season, the Chippewas finished 33-20 overall, winning 15 games against conference opponents. CMU earned its 10th MAC Championship, going 4-0 in the tournament.

Despite losing two key players from last year, MAC tournament MVP Kara Dornbos and centerfielder Macy Merchant, head coach Margo Jonker is optimistic about the upcoming season.

“Different people are going to do that and who's going to do that will depend as the season goes along," Jonker said. "There are many people capable and it’s kind of by committee. People need to get the job done by committee, and I think we have a lot of really good players.”

Senior Cory DeLamielleure as well as juniors Trista Cox and CarolAnn Sexauer are all returning key players from last season.

“Cory was behind the plate last year and will be again this year,” Jonker said. “She is an outstanding catcher, one of the best catchers we have had in the program over the years.”

With three returning infielders – Sexauer, Cox and Chelsea DeLamielleure – Jonker said it’s going to be hard for teams to get the ball through.

Their pitching staff will return strong as well, with senior Chelsea Sundberg leading the team. Jonker said Sundberg got a lot of playing time last year, and will go in with the most experience in the upcoming season.

“We have five different pitchers, all of which have different strengths,” Jonker said. “Some are more off-speed and some are extremely fast and make a lot of ball movement. At this level, the movement of the pitch and location of the pitch is actually more important than the speed of the pitch itself.”

The Chippewas outfield will be inexperienced this year because the team graduated three players in that position last year.

However, their infield is where their strength lies.

“Our infield, I think is experienced and very talented,” Jonker said. “In the circle, we’ve got a lot of variety, so I’m pretty excited about it.”

Some of the games that will present a challenge for the team this season will be against Kent State, Ball State, Michigan and Louisville.

Goals

Reflecting on past goal achievements and new ones set for the upcoming season, Jonker believes CMU had an excellent 2013 campaign.

“No team ever achieves all of their goals or they’re not setting their goals high enough," Jonker said. "But we won the tournament, so we had a good year as well as great players. We had great chemistry and great leadership. It was an outstanding year.”

One goal the team set for the upcoming season is to win the MAC tournament. For now, Jonker is taking it one weekend at a time.

CMU will start with the Rosemont Rumble in Rosemont, Ill. this weekend.

As for their number one goal, Jonker said it will be to “stay in the process and let the outcome take care of itself"