Softball team participates in 'Have a Heart' for 19th consecutive year

This Valentine's Day will mark the 19th year softball has participated in the "Have a Heart" program in conjunction with the Isabella County Commission on Aging.

Since 1995, the team has helped distribute “Have a Heart” boxes to older county residents around Valentine’s Day. This year, the Commission on Aging expects to serve around 150 people approximately $747,737 worth of care packages.

The packages are decorated with valentines and pictures from children. Each box will contain approximately six meals, making a total of 900 nutritionally balanced meals if 150 people are served. Each box will include a $35 gift card to a local merchant, allowing the elderly a level of independence in spending their donated money.

“It’s nice giving the valentines to people who might not have someone to give them a Valentine's gift,” said senior pitcher Morgan Yuncker.

The project is a chance to better the relationship with the elderly community and university athletics. Each member of the team picks up the packages from the senior center and delivers them throughout Mount Pleasant.

“Obviously its nice for the senior citizens to see young people, as well as it is great for us to do that type of thing,” said head coach Margo Jonker.

The volunteer work makes a big impact to the community and in the hearts of the ones served. Not only the players, but the coaches also play a part in the community.

“My favorite one that we ever did, there was this (blind) man and he had his dog, and he just loved softball," Yuncker said. "He loved that we did it; he was just really sweet."

All funds for the “Have a Heart” boxes come from the community donations. No federal, state or local dollars are used for the project.

The Mid-American Conference champions really show their willingness to work hard on and off the diamond and thank those who have supported them the whole way.

“I think the biggest thing to take away is us serving the community,” said senior pitcher Chelsea Sundberg. “I don’t want to say we're idols, but people look up to us, so its nice to finally be able to give back to the people who serve us and help us with our program.”