UPDATED: Student arrested Wednesday for firing gun at vehicle

A Central Michigan University student was arrested Wednesday for allegedly firing a hunting rifle at an occupied vehicle at a strip mall on Mission Street. Mount Pleasant Police responded to the call about damages to property at 11:30 a.m.

According to MMPD, a female employee at a nearby J.C. Penny was pulling into the parking lot when her back window was shattered by the bullet. The driver was not injured and the bullet was embedded in her dashboard. Police estimated the shot was fired from 175 feet away.

"She pulled in to go to work, and her window broke out," said Jeff Thompson, Mount Pleasant Police public information officer. "At first she thought someone threw a rock."

After canvassing the area, and receiving information about a prior unrelated harassment complaint involving the suspect, police were able to identify the suspect, and were led to Dunham's Sports where the weapon was purchased earlier that day. It was a long-barreled rifle with an attached scope, Thompson said.

The suspect, whose name was not released, is a resident of Union Square Apartments, police said. He faces weapons and larceny offenses.

An official motive was not determined and the incident remains under investigation.