Students hold second annual Bald is Beautiful event, shave their heads for cancer awareness

a5-shavingheads

More than 50 students lined up in the Towers on Wednesday to get an extreme haircut for others to remember.

To raise cancer awareness for sufferers and survivors, 52 students, including nine women, had their hair cut off for the second annual “Bald is Beautiful.”

The project was inspired by a similar event held last year that was based on the Miles of Smiles Foundation where people send before and after photos of themselves after cutting their hair off for cancer awareness to raise the moral of those battling the disease.

“It was a great turnout,” said Leroy freshman Josh Gostlin, the organizer of the event. “I wish it could have been bigger with more hype and drawn in even more people."

Gostlin said he wanted students to be more aware of how cancer affects people, speaking from his own experience having multiple cancer survivors in his family.

He talked about the project for a month with his roommate and coordinator of last year’s event, Midland senior Joshua Finch, before approaching the Carey Hall Council who approved the event.

Kyle Croft, Carey Hall Councilman and Grand Blanc freshman, was one of the 52 who cut off their hair and later rallied other students in the hall to follow suit.

“We couldn’t have done it without the help of the council,” Gostlin said. “We want this to be an annual thing.”

Finch said, compared to last year’s event, the turnout was outstanding. Last year, it was spur-of-the-moment, while this year was planned ahead of time.

“Just being in the Towers had an impact as more students were aware it was going on,” Finch said. “I would be proud if they did this event every year. It would feel like I’m leaving behind a legacy.”