Super Bowl more than a game for students watching in local restaurants, resident halls

taylor-okellys77-web
Morgan Taylor | Staff Photographer CMU students and Mount Pleasant residents gather in O'Kelly's Sunday night to watch the Superbowl XLVII.

As millions of avid football fans sat down to enjoy America's most popular unofficial holiday, hundreds more enjoyed the game from the comfort of local sports bars and residence halls in Mount Pleasant.

Many students watched Super Bowl XLVIII across campus and the community, in parties ranging from the well-organized to improvised funfests, and some watching the game individually as well.

Students residing in Central Michigan University’s residence halls held many viewing parties, including the residents of Larzelere Hall, who gathered in their back lobby with food to watch the game together as a hall.

“Getting everyone together is my favorite part,” said Grand Blanc sophomore Alexa Shaw, “but this year I am excited to see the Bruno Mars show.”

Shaw said she liked to see residence hall parties like the one in Larzelere Hall because it’s nice to see people get together to enjoy something like the Super Bowl, adding it gives everyone a chance to experience the whole event together.

This year’s game was a battle between the Seattle Seahawks and Denver Broncos with a halftime show starring Bruno Mars and the Red Hot Chili Peppers. The Seahawks won the game, 43-8.

Charnae Sanders, a sophomore from Southfield who chose to watch the game in the Bovee University Center, said she really enjoys watching the game every year because she loves seeing all the hard work that goes into it.

“I love seeing the passion on the players’ faces,” she said. “All the hard work they’ve done just to get here is so inspiring. I’m a fan of football and I love a good game.”

Brian Leen, a freshman from Carsonville, said he likes getting together every year with his friends to watch the game and he thought the viewing party in Larzelere Hall was a great way to do that.

“I like the commercials, but I also like the game,” he said. “It makes it more fun to be with my friends while I watch it.”

People gathered in restaurants and bars around town to watch the game as well, including Buffalo Wild Wings and various bars downtown. For many people, the Super Bowl is less about actually watching football and more about eating good food and having a great time.

Dakotah Kintigh, a senior from Bellaire, said his favorite part about the Super Bowl is watching the game, but he enjoys some of the funnier commercials as well.

“The football is definitely the best part,” he said, “but the whole experience is great, too.”

Brandon Malinowski, a freshman from Northville, said he likes to watch the game for the actual football, but it gives him a chance to spend time with some friends as well.

“It is quality time with quality people,” he said.

Highland junior Lauren Smith said she couldn't watch all of the game, but planned to watch some of it later with friends.

“Food, football and friends,” she said. “There’s not a better combination out there.”

http://vimeo.com/85691516