Suspect arrested in connection to Ferris State shooting

An active shooting incident was reported at an off-campus apartment near Ferris State University between early Saturday morning.

The victim was moved to a Grand Rapids hospital for treatment, and was released.

According to Ferris Director of Public Safety Bruce Borkovich, the sus­pect has been iden­ti­fied as 20-year-old DeCory Demarco Downing.

Downing is a non-Ferris stu­dent and is believed to be from the Mt. Clemens/Macomb area, accord­ing to Borkovich, who addressed the media in a 9 a.m. press con­fer­ence Sunday, Feb. 2.

Downing is charged with attempted mur­der which has a pos­si­ble sen­tence of life in prison if con­victed. He was also charged with use of a firearm, which is a felony with a manda­tory two-year sentence.

The victim was shot between 4:15 and 4:30 a.m. Saturday at Venlo Place, an apartment complex just off campus.

The suspect is being held in Mecosta County Jail. FSU said on its website Sunday morning that charges are expected to be filed within "the next 24 to 48 hours."

Police have also taken a woman into custody to be questioned by the Mecosta County Sheriff's Office.

Earlier Saturday, police found a vehicle thought to be related to the incident parked at Finch Court, an off-campus apartment complex about a mile from Venlo Place. Police were granted search warrants to enter two Finch Court apartments, but neither were occupied.

The FSU Department of Public Safety was assisted by the Big Rapids Department of Public Safety, the Mecosta County Sheriff's Department and the Michigan State Police Emergency Support Team.

Classes, men's and women's basketball games against Saginaw Valley State University and a high school hockey game were cancelled on Saturday in the wake of the shooting.