Wrestling finishes 4-4 in MAC after dropping first dual meet to Eastern Michigan in 22 years

Central Michigan wrestling suffered its first loss in 22 years to Eastern Michigan on Thursday.

CMU lost its final conference dual of the season to the Eagles, 18-16 to finish 4-4 in the MAC.

The dual started out with a loss at 125 pounds by freshman Corey Keener. He was down 6-2 after the first period and couldn’t establish enough moves to get back in the match.

Head coach Tom Borrelli said when you give up unnecessary points in close matches, you won't win too may dual meets along.

"You have to win those matches," Borrelli said. "The same thing happened to us at Old Dominion a couple (of) weekends ago. When you lose close matches, you don't win dual meets and you can't give up bonus points. I guess I'm disappointed because we worked pretty hard and sometimes they don't execute the things they work on in competition."

Senior Joe Roth added a pivotal victory at 133 points against Vincent Pizzutto, beating the reigning MAC Player of the Week, 6-2.

At 141 pounds, sophomore Zach Horan had to work for every point.  A big takedown at the end of the third period sealed the win, 5-2.

Scoring early was key for many of the wrestlers after the loss at 125 pounds. Takedowns in the first few minutes helped lead to victories at 133, 141 and 149 pounds.

The Chippewas lost at 157 pounds before freshman Nick Becker recorded four takedowns, winning 9-2 at 165 pounds.

"The guy who I feel like is improving the most on our team right now is Nick," Borrelli said. "He is really coming around and has had some really good performances in his last three matches."

Becker said his recent success has been due to his increased confidence in his ability after struggling early in the season.

"I took some losses I shouldn't have, but now I'm getting back on track," Becker said.

After six matches, CMU led 13-6.

Junior Mike Ottinger was able to stay in control for the majority of his match at 174 pounds. He won 3-2 after a late escape in the third period.

Borrelli said Ottinger lacks confidence in his wrestling.

"Mike doesn't like the way he is wrestling right now," Borrelli said. "He is wrestling too close and too conservative. "

A referee’s decision to reverse the call on a takedown at 184 pounds late in the third period led to a loss by senior Craig Kelliher.

Heading into the final match, CMU led 16-12, but a pin at heavyweight earned the Eagles six points and a two-point victory, snapping the 22-year winless drought to the Chippewas.

CMU will head down to Columbus, Ohio this weekend for the NWCA Nationals. They will face No. 18 Illinois in the first round of duals beginning at 1 p.m.

http://vimeo.com/86719673