Auto parts manufacturer Dayco to create 120 Mount Pleasant jobs

a5-dayco

An expansion to a local manufacturer is expected to bring about 120 new jobs to Mount Pleasant this year.

Dayco, an automotive parts manufacturer, is set to expand its location at 1799 Grover Parkway by 44,000 square feet after the Mount Pleasant City Commission unanimously approved a 10-year property tax abatement Monday, worth about $1.77 million.

Brian Anderson of the Middle Michigan Development Corporation, which has been working closely with Dayco on the abatement, said the project was originally only projected to create 25 new jobs.

Mount Pleasant Mayor Sharon Tilmann said she was impressed with the number of jobs as well, adding she is glad the city is able to help.

In addition to creating new jobs, the abatement allows Dayco to retain its 170 existing ones.

"We're ecstatic over the job creation and the amount of people this will bring to our community," Anderson said.

Anderson said manufacturing jobs are "very viable" for mid-Michigan, and the city should do everything it can to attract manufacturers to set up in Mount Pleasant.

"Manufacturing is on the upswing these days, so this is right in line with Mount Pleasant defining itself as a very positive and proper home for manufacturing investments," he said.

Dayco's tax abatement will last for its 10-year property lease, as opposed to the typical 12 years. According to state law, Dayco's abatement cannot last longer than the length of its lease contract.

Construction on the addition is scheduled to be completed by September, said city assessor Dave Rowley.

Dayco is a global corporation with 14 locations in the United States, including four in Michigan.