Broadway Theatre to host fantasy conference

chsbs-copy

chsbs copyDragons, elves and mythical creatures will be taking over The Broadway Theatre in downtown Mount Pleasant when the "Imagining the Fantastic" conference comes to town.

The conference is co-sponsored by the theater and the College of Humanities and Social and Behavioral Sciences.

It will feature several fantasy artists, sword-smiths and harpist Elizabeth-Jane Baldry. Each presenter will give seminars sharing their experiences in the realm of fantasy lore.

Fantasy-fiction writers will include M.T. Anderson, Holly Black and Central Michigan University's Ari Berk.

Renowned artist and comic book illustrator Charles Vess will also be in attendance. Vess is best known for his work on a classic issue of Neil Gaiman's "Sandman" comic, issue No. 19.

Vess' work can be found in various Marvel and DC Comics graphic novels, as well as on the pages of Dark Horse and Epic Comics issues.

Berk, a mythology and folklore professor, will discuss his teen fiction series, "The Undertaken." Aside from teaching at CMU, Berk is a winner of the School Library Journal's Children's Choice Award, based in the United Kingdom.

The two-day conference is scheduled April 11 and 12, and is free and open to the public. Conference attractions start at 11 a.m. both days.

For more information on the event, the speakers and the artists, visit the event page on the CHSBS website.