CMU TV station shows continued excellence with Michigan Association of Broadcasters awards

mab

mabCentral Michigan University's 24-hour cable outlet has been named college television station of the year by the Michigan Association of Broadcasters for the 13th consecutive year.

Peter Orlik, the director of the School of Broadcast and Cinematic Arts, said this is a victory for the school and the station because of the competition this year.

"This unprecedented string of victories was continued despite intense competition from electronic media departments on other campuses across the state," Orlik said in a press release on March 12. "Michigan State and Grand Valley State were especially vigorous competitors for this honor."

A panel of Michigan broadcasters judged the stations as well as individual students on their work and content. MHTV was recognized along with News Central 34 and professors Eric Limarenko and Rick Sykes, who were involved in the station's success.

Central Michigan University President George Ross said the station's success was a reflection of the university at large.

"Thirteen years in a row, unbelievable," Ross wrote in an email to faculty members in the department. "A testament to the quality of teaching and  learning that continues to produce excellent results."

Students from MHTV also won first and second place awards in the Talk Shows/Scripted Shows category. The group grabbed all three awards for Public Service Announcements, as well, from the March conference.