COLUMN: Our professors aren't all bad

ryanfitz

The first thing I thought of when I read of journalism professor Sean Baker’s drunken escapades was not the tarnishing of Central Michigan University’s public image, nor the blemish cast upon CMU’s journalism program, but of myself.

I think I know what it's like to be in Baker's shoes.

I can't claim the long struggle he can, but I did find myself out of a job, failing most of my classes and losing my ability to graduate in four years. Last semester, I often prioritized getting myself intoxicated as often as possible over any sort of academic or personal needs.

I'd love to thank my smashing good looks, dauntless wit and heroic perseverance, but there was really only one thing that allowed me to dig myself out of the rut: CMU's professors.

Baker's offenses have caused an onset of criticism from both students and student media about the actions of our faculty on campus. With recent charges of indecent exposure, embezzlement and even child pornography – the criticism is warranted and justified.

But before we paint with too broad a brush, I'd like to take a moment to recognize the professors I've had, who have gone above and beyond their job descriptions to make my stay at this institution invaluable.

There are small things, like those of Robert Fanning. He is a creative writing professor who always finds the time to remind me of how much he enjoyed what I wrote in his class ages ago. There's Desmond Harding, literature professor, who, upon learning I reported for Central Michigan Life, appeared to make it his personal mission to suggest a new story idea every other class.

Then there are the not-so-small things. There's journalism professor Teresa Hernandez, who left a meeting early and drove through 40 minutes of crummy weather to meet with me – outside of office hours – about getting back on track in her class.

There's journalism professor Ed Simpson, who has been more of a mentor and a friend to me than just a professor. He took a personal interest in my growth as a reporter and has spent hours chatting and working with me on my future.

CMU's tuition is egregious, but people like these make it worth it.

Perhaps most important last semester was journalism professor John Hartman. After receiving an email that I was going to receive a failing grade in his class, he urged me to focus on getting myself better. After personally offering to walk me to the CMU counseling center, he leaned back and said a string of words that struck me like little else ever has.

"I can't wait to see what you write in five years."

At that point, being a successful journalist or writer had not crossed my mind for months, but the confidence within his voice stirred dormant confidence within me.

I know this: Upon writing my first defining masterpiece five years from now, I'll know exactly who to thank.

I'll thank the professors whose services to me have extended far beyond the classroom, and have helped me to grow as an individual in remarkable ways.

In the midst of the rise in misconduct, let's not let the few professors who have wandered astray distract us from those professors who are doing it right.