Faculty Association announces collective bargaining committee

Central Michigan University's Faculty Association announced the members of its committee that will represent the union in the upcoming contract negotiations.

The seven-member committee represents more than 650 tenure-track faculty members. Committee members come from varying departments and colleges, and a representative from the Michigan Education Association.

"In announcing the members of our bargaining committee, the FA looks forward to a productive bargaining process," said Joshua Smith, president of the Faculty Association. "We are committed to focusing on the need for a contract that supports recruitment and retention of high-caliber faculty who maintain CMU’s reputation for student success and scholarly activity."

Committee members include Laura Frey (counseling and special education), David Jesuit (political science), Paul Natke (economics), Luis Antonio Perez (management), Phil Squattrito (chemistry), David Whale (educational leadership) and Suzanne Clark (MEA UniServ director).

Clark is an attorney with 20 years of experience in private practice. She has represented both individuals and associations in labor and employment matters. Clark represents the CMU FA after joining the MEA in 2008.

Jesuit, Natke and Squattrito represented the FA in past collective bargaining negotiations.

University President George Ross was approved to begin collective bargaining  between the university and three unions at the Feb. 20 board of trustees meeting. Ross will create a negotiations committee to meet with the FA.

The other unions the committee will negotiate contracts with include the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees for service maintenance employees and the Police Officer’s Association of Michigan for police employees.

The existing union contracts expire June 30.

Both sides of the collective bargaining negotiations hope this round goes smoothly. In 2011, the FA held multiple protests at the beginning of the fall semester when the sides could not agree on contract terms.