Gymnastics to face Rutgers, Georgia, Michigan at regional championships

mt_gymnastics1084
Morgan Taylor | Assistant Photo Editor Junior Kylie Fagan completes her bar routine at the MAC championships at Eastern Michigan on Saturday afternoon. Kylie received a score of a 9.950, placing first on the event.

The Central Michigan gymnastics team has been revered as one of the top teams in the nation all season.

Next weekend, the Chippewas have a chance to prove their worth and cash in on a little revenge in the process.

More than 15,000 fans could be in attendance in Athens, Ga. to root on the hometown Bulldogs, on April 5 as they host CMU in regional championship action.

The MAC-champion Chippewas will face No. 6 Georgia, No. 7 Michigan, North Carolina State, Ohio State and Rutgers during the regional meet.

“We’re going in there fired up,” said senior Brittany Petzold. "We can beat them and we should have beat (Rutgers) last time. We just had a bad event."

CMU finished second behind Rutgers on March 8 at the Rutgers Invite after a fall on bars.

Head coach Jerry Reighard said the Chippewas have yet to reach their full potential this year, despite winning a conference championship.

“We did not peak for MAC’s," Reighard said. "We trained hard all the way up to it because we knew we were going someplace. Now we’re going to start less quantity and more quality.”

The Chippewas highest score this season came in at 196.6. However, Reighard continues to push his team to get over the "197 hump."

"I’m happy we’re going (to regionals), I’m happy we’re seeded and I know we can beat whoever we go up against,” said junior Kylie Fagan.

The competition 

CMU holds a 6-29 all-time record against the Wolverines, another in-state rival. Reighard praised Michigan's team this year, calling it "consistent."

The Wolverines took first in the Big 10 Gymnastics Championship with a 197.55. Michigan strives the most on the floor routine, scoring 49.65 on average.

Premier UM all-arounder, Joanna Sampson, posted a season-high 39.65.

Georgia is the best team featured in regionals.

The Bulldogs have the advantage statistically and physically, as well as home-gym advantage. Their highest score this season was a 197.6. Georgia placed fourth in the SEC Championship, scoring a 49.7 on bars.

CMU is 1-3 against Ohio State, 0-1 against Rutgers and 2-5 against NC State all time. The Chippewas celebrated their first win against the Buckeyes in February and had their final-event meltdown loss to Rutgers in early March.

Ohio State has improved its scores almost every meet, having a great showing at the Big 10 championship with a score of 196.4, good enough for sixth.