LGBTQ to host 'Day of Silence' photo shoot

Sometimes a simple photo can give a voice to the voiceless and stands up against oppression.

Central Michigan University’s Office of LGBTQ Services will host the annual Day of Silence photo shoot Thursday and Friday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. in the Center for Inclusion and Diversity, located in Bovee University Center 108.

The annual event raises awareness for members of the LGBTQ community.

“It is to recognize individuals who are silenced due to bullying and hate,” said Shannon Jolliff, the director of LGBTQ services. “The actual 'Day of Silence' isn’t until April, but it goes along with that.”

The Day of Silence is a national event when students take a vow of silence to illustrate the silencing effect that bullying and hate has on LGBTQ students.

For the Day of Silence photo shoot, photographer Matthew Bryan Pruitt takes black and white photos of participants with red duct tape over their mouths and manipulates the image so only the red tape is in color.

Photos can be as creative or as serious as people wish. The purpose of the photo shoot is to get the message out.

Justin Toliver, a junior from Redford and a student assistant in the office, said it is recommended participants wear darker colors for the photo because they will translate better into black and white.

“Anyone can get their picture taken individually or in groups,” he said.

Toliver said many large groups at CMU, such as fraternities and sororities, come to get their photos taken together.

While some photos from the day are displayed in the Office of LGBTQ Services, they are mainly for the use of those who have their photos taken.