Local Special Olympics basketball tournament provides opportunity for athletes, volunteers

kdw-specialolympics2
Kyle Wilson/Staff Photographer The area 4 Northland Huskies gather during a time out Saturday in the district championship game at Morey Courts. The Huskies went on to win the game and will play in the state finals March 22nd at Rockford HighSchool.

When Saginaw native David McAtee was born with achondroplasia, a type of dwarfism, doctors warned his family of the physical obstacles he would face in his future.

On Saturday, McAtee stood out as one of the most physical players on the basketball court by scoring 24 of his team’s 50 points at the Special Olympics Michigan basketball tournament at Morey Courts Recreation Center in the Isabella Community Sportsplex.

“It’s a lot of fun for everyone, especially for people with disabilities, like me,” McAtee said. “This tournament just shows that anybody can do anything, no matter who they are, big or small.”

Special Olympics Michigan hosted one of four district basketball tournaments Saturday, from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Central Michigan University students, staff and faculty volunteered for every position available, from referees to food vendors.

Members of fraternities and sororities attended as well, while many others volunteered at the event to show their support and cheer on the athletes.

Ludington sophomore Kelsey Arneson was one of the sorority members who volunteered alongside her Tri Sigma sisters.

“It’s important for students to come together and show our support, because these kids do not get enough credit for what they do,” Arneson said. “It’s really rewarding and fun to come out and volunteer anywhere, but it’s especially rewarding when it’s for the Special Olympics.”

This year, the tournament moved to the Isabella Community Sportsplex because of its large indoor basketball complex. The old location had three basketball courts, while the Sportsplex has eight.

As teams waited for their games to start, they practiced shooting and dribbling in the open gym areas.

Meals were provided for all athletes, coaches and chaperones at the event. Student athletes from CMU's track and field team also made appearances to sign autographs, and talk with the SOMI athletes while they ate.

Chicago freshman Erica Hughes has done her share of volunteering since coming to CMU in August. She emphasized how important it is for people to show their support if they are skeptical about volunteering.

“I would not miss this opportunity to be a fan in the stands and support these hardworking athletes,” Hughes said. “Students should come to more events like these, because just talking with these gifted people will leave them with a happy feeling inside.”

Each team played two 24-minute games. Top division teams that won both of their games advanced to the state championship, which will take place in Rockford later this month. All participating athletes received commemorative medals and certificates from Special Olympics Michigan.

The Area 7 Warriors, a team of 18- to 43-year-old Mount Pleasant athletes, took first place in Division III competition. Coached by senior Jackson Seedott, the Warriors remain undefeated this season (9-0) and will head to Rockford for the state championship.

"These athletes continue to amaze me with their athleticism and their sportsmanship," Seedott said. "Their character is revealed through the way they play the game. Even if we were losing in a blowout, they would still find a way to have fun and have a smile on their faces, and I believe that is what the Special Olympics are all about."

Tournament Director Dan Ekonen expressed his gratitude toward the student volunteers.

“The tournament brings together so many different people, especially students, with the disabled population that they might not otherwise interact with,” said Ekonen. “They form natural connections with our athletes, and it’s just so incredible to have passionate students get involved.”