NCAA Selection show reveals No. 18 Gymnastics regional destination

For the next two weeks, gymnastics will have Georgia on their minds.

“It’s a great facility,” said head coach Jerry Reighard. “They have a good crowd. It’ll be a really good place for us to compete.”

Georgia has averaged more than 9,000 spectators per meet this season, so the Chippewas should expect their largest audience by far. The meet will be April 5 at 6 p.m.

The other teams at the regional will be host No. 6 Georgia, No. 7 Michigan, No. 22 Ohio State, North Carolina State and Rutgers. The top two teams from each of the six regionals will advance to the national championships, held in Birmingham, Alabama April 18-20.

A chorus of ‘no’s’ reigned from the Chippewas as teams were being revealed to go to cold weather cities like Minneapolis and Washington.

“We’re not going down there for the sun,” Reighard said. “But (we will) walk out of the hotel room and (will) not bundled up like an Eskimo. “Warm bodies in any athletic team is a much better situation.”

Junior Kylie Fagan was excited about the draw, even though the Chippewas will face a pair of top ten teams.

“I’m excited to go to Georgia,” Fagan said. “I’m happy that we’re going, I’m happy we’re seeded and we can beat anybody we go up against.”

The Chippewas have finished sixth in the last three years at regionals, but senior Brittany Petzold says being seeded this year makes this season different.

“Since we’re seeded now, that just makes us so much more confident that we can make it to nationals,” Petzold said. “If we do our top performance and we do what we do in practice every day, we can come out on top and we can beat one of those top two teams.”

About Taylor DesOrmeau

Taylor DesOrmeau is a senior at Central Michigan University, majoring in integrative public relations ...

View Posts by Taylor DesOrmeau →