University Street house fire likely started in garage


IMG_4933

No one was injured in a house fire at the corner of University and Wisconsin streets, Friday morning.

Firefighters from the Mount Pleasant Fire Department were called to a burning house at 404 S. University St. around 11:30 a.m.

Fire Chief Greg Walterhouse said one firefighter sustained a cut on his finger from debris, and was treated at the scene.

"The fire started somewhere in the back," Walterhouse said. "Right now we have no idea what caused it."

Walterhouse said he expected more information to be available later in the day, and a written report next week.

The owner of the home Geoff Quick, an instructor at Central Michigan University's Global Campus, arrived on the scene around 12:30 p.m. He said he was unaware of the cause of the fire.

"I have no idea what happened," Quick said. "It looks like it started in the back. I do have a car in there. I'm just glad the fire department got here so quick."

From his back porch, Mount Pleasant senior Billy Myler observed firefighters spraying water into a garage connected to the back of the house just East of his home at 407 S. Main St.

"It looked like their garage caught on fire," Myler said. "There is a car in there. It was definitely the garage that caught fire first"


Comments powered by Disqus

Please note All comments are eligible for publication in Central Michigan Life.