Senior Joe Roth receives All-American recognition in final season

Senior Joe Roth capped off his career at CMU with All-American honors placing seventh at the NCAA Wrestling Championships in Oklahoma City.

Roth won his seventh place match on Saturday over thirteen seed Cody Brewer of Oklahoma by decision 8-6. He was down 4-3 heading into the third period, but recorded an escape and two takedowns in the final period to seal the win.

Roth finished with a 28-9 record in his final season and a career record of 100-37.

This makes it twelve straight years the Chippewas have had at least one All-American.

On day one in the 133-pound division Roth won by major decision 11-3 over Kevin Devoy of Drexel in round one before losing to Tyler Graff of Wisconsin by decision 10-5. Day two saw him win three of his four consolation matches.

Roth defeated seventh seed Cashe Quiroga of Purdue in consolation round four by decision, 5-3, which guaranteed him at least an eighth place finish and All-American recognition. In consolation round two he won by major decision, 15-4, against Chuck Zeisloft of Rider.

He continued with wins in rounds three and four. Round three was a 5-4 tiebreak win against fourth seed Jonathan Morrison of Oklahoma State.

Smith won by decision, 3-2, in round one of the 157-pound division against Tristan Warner of fellow MAC team Old Dominion on day one that was followed by a round two loss in sudden time, 3-1, to Isaac Jordan of Wisconsin.

On day two Smith won two of his three matches, coming up just short of having a chance at finishing as an All-American. An 11-2 major decision win in round two against Austin Matthews of Clarion was followed by a 4-2 sudden victory over Dylan Alton of Penn State.

An 11-4 decision loss in round four to two seed Derek St. John of Iowa ended his tournament.

Sophomore Zach Horan competed in the 141-pound class as the eighth seed and won by sudden victory, 9-7, over Michael Nevinger of Cornell in round one followed by a loss by decision 6-2 to tenth seed Todd Preston of Harvard in round two.

Friday would be his last day of competition as he split his two matches losing in consolation round three by decision 6-4 to Anthony Collica of Oklahoma State.

Senior Mike Ottinger was the tenth seed competing in the 174-pound class. He won two matches on day one. He won by decision 3-2 over Joe Latham of Oregon State in round one before losing to seventh seed Tyler Wilps of Pittsburgh by decision 6-2 in round two. Ottinger split his two matches on Friday.

Ottinger recorded a tie-breaker win 2-1 over Cody Walters of Ohio in consolation round two before his tournament ended after his lost by disqualification in round three.

Freshman Corey Keener  lost two matches in the preliminary matches in the 125-pound division. He came into the tournament unseeded in the 125-pound division. He lost his first match by fall in the third period followed by another loss by fall in the second round at the 2:24 mark in the first period ending his tournament.