Softball remains undefeated at USF Showcase

Central Michigan Softball kept its winning streak at the Under Armour Showcase in Clearwater, Fla. alive Saturday.

CMU heads into Sunday's action 4-0 in the tournament.

After taking an early third-inning lead, the Chippewas topped Chattanooga 5-1 before beating Seton Hall 6-5.

Against Chattanooga, CMU piled on four runs in the bottom of the third inning, starting on a single up the middle from senior Brittney Horan. She was followed by junior shortstop Trista Cox, who reached on an error.

When sophomore Katelyn Rentschler walked, Horan and Cox advanced to load the bases. Sophomore Chelsea DeLamielleure walked to drive in Horan and senior Lauren Bowman, who pinch ran for Cox.

Corey DeLamielleure singled up the middle for two RBI, putting CMU up 4-1. Chattanooga would remain scoreless for the rest of the game.

Senior right-handed pitcher Chelsea Sundberg pitched five innings and was awarded the win. She allowed four hits but only one unearned run, striking out three.

She was followed by Rachael Knapp who closed the game in two innings, allowing no hits.

In the second game, Seton Hall University started off strong with three runs in the second inning. Central Michigan fired back with one run when Kuhlman walked and stole second. Redshirt freshman Kristen Goodall singled up the middle to score Kuhlman.

CMU fired up their bats to take the lead in the bottom of the fourth, scoring five runs.  Goodall and freshman Danielle Marlink singled up the middle, and sophomore Evelyn Lorimer walked to stack the bases.

Horan scored senior Raechel Zahrn, pinch running for Goodall, with a sacrifice fly to left field. Cox then doubled to left to bring in Lorimer and Marlink.

Seton Hall changed their pitcher, but she struggled as well, advancing Cox to third on a passed ball and scoring on a double to right field from Rentschler. Rentschler would score herself on a fielding error to take the lead, 6-5.

Knapp was awarded the win, pitching 4.2 innings. She allowed one hit and one earned run. She also recorded nine strikeouts.

The Chippewas demonstrated their ability to quickly pile on runs, a mainstay of their offensive capability last season.

CMU will continue the USF Under Armour Showcase Sunday against Villanova.