CMU student sentenced to six months in jail for assaulting an officer

harrison_jump

Morgan Taylor | Assistant Photo Editor Mount Pleasant police officer Andrea Brown looks to her co-worker during Rachel Harrison's court hearing at the Isabella County Court House on Wednesday afternoon. Officer Brown had a knife pulled on her in her own vehicle outside of Harrison's sorority house.

Central Michigan University sophomore Rachel Harrison was sentenced to six months in jail and three years of probation Wednesday after being charged with three concurrent sentences of assaulting an officer, carrying a weapon with unlawful intent and assault with a weapon.

Harrison must pay $1,945 in fines and must undergo a psychological assessment during her incarceration.

"I am truly sorry for what happened that night," she said. "I had no intention of harming anybody. I had the intention of trying to help a friend out that night, and it just went bad very quickly."

Harrison threatened and pulled a hunting knife on Mount Pleasant Police Department Officer Angela Brown in November.

Brown addressed the courtroom during the trial, supported by several Mount Pleasant Police officers in attendance.

"She was given several commands to drop the knife," Brown said. "I remember thinking in my mind that I was justified in shooting Ms. Harrison based on her actions. I wanted to give her every opportunity to drop the knife, even at the risk of my own safety."

harrison_jump1

For more on this story, keep reading cm-life.com