Broadcasting professor charged with trespassing at The Cabin after drinking with students

A1_Sutterfield

A Central Michigan University professor was arraigned at the Isabella County Trial Courthouse on April 9, after being jailed for trespassing at The Cabin.

Curtis Sutterfield initially pleaded guilty Wednesday, but Magistrate Sandra Straus suggested a no-contest plea since Sutterfield claimed to not remember the incident. He paid a $350 fine on the day of his arraignment hearing.

"I honestly don’t recall. It was that fast," Sutterfield said at his arraignment. "If I had to formulate a guess, I didn’t want to drive in my condition. I wished I would have called a cab. I didn’t call my wife because I have two young daughters, and I didn’t want them to be woken up."

Mount Pleasant Police Department responded to a call from The Cabin at 2:16 a.m. on March 23, when Sutterfield was intoxicated and refused to leave the premises.

The broadcast and cinematic arts professor was given a breath test at the scene, and registered a blood alcohol content level of .18. He refused to leave the property when asked by management and by Officer Kipp Moe. He was arrested on a misdemeanor charge of trespassing.

Sutterfield said it must have happened if a police officer and The Cabin manager said it happened.

"My citation says that (the manager) also asked me to leave," Sutterfield said. "I’m sure that if two people are collaborating, then I probably did it."

Sutterfield told the court he is not a heavy drinker. He said he went to The Cabin with some of his students from his classes.

"I had a few shots bought for me because the students were excited to see me out, I guess. I just over drank," Sutterfield said. "I’m not a big partier or drinker or anything like that."

Director of Public Relations Steve Smith said the university is aware of the incident, and it is being investigated by the MPPD. According to Smith, Sutterfield is still employed at CMU, and an internal review is underway.