CCFA Dean Ghanem a finalist for provost position at NIU

College of Communications and Fine Arts Dean Salma Ghanem is a finalist for the position of provost and vice president for academic affairs at Northern Illinois University, according to an announcement on the university's website.

Ghanem, who holds a Ph.D. in Journalism from the University of Texas at Austin, has been a professor and the CCFA dean at Central Michigan University since 2009.

In her cover letter for her job application, which was posted on the NIU website along with her résumé, Ghanem cites her years of experience at CMU and her former role as the communications department chairwoman at the University of Texas Pan American. Ghanem wrote that she has had a lengthy professional history in terms of managing budgets, allocating funds for departments, as well as handling faculty and personnel issues.

Although she has applied for the position and now stands as one of its top candidates, Ghanem said her application for the position is not a reflection on the state of CMU.

"I was approached by search committee for the position," she said. "If I were offered the position and if I decided to take it, that would be one thing. (However,) I do like it here a lot."

Ghanem also wrote in her letter that her daughter and grandson live in the Chicago area, and that "the proximity would be ideal."

Two forums for NIU faculty, students and staff with Ghanem are scheduled for Wednesday and Thursday.