CMU alumna creates successful greeting card business, will provide gifts at 2014 MTV Movie Awards

a5-alum-1
Courtesy Photo | Julie Astrauckas CMU Alumna Julie Astrauckas moved to California and started her own greeting card business, which now has gained the notice of stars in Hollywood.

Like many college students, Julie Astrauckas came to Central Michigan University expecting a quality education.

Eight years later, her degree continues to contribute to the building of her successful business.

Since her time at CMU, Astrauckas formed "Julie Ann Art," a successful greeting card business through the popular website Etsy, which has gained a following from notable celebrities and organizations.

"I began making the cards as sort of a hobby and it just escalated from there," she said. "I was always interested in art and photography – these things have always been a part of me, so when I found out about Etsy I thought, 'Why not use this creative gene that I have and try to make something of it?'"

The cards Astrauckas creates are known for down-to-earth sayings and creativity drawn from her personal experiences.

By creating her relatable and unique products, Astrauckas has received recognition, not only from loyal fans, but celebrities, including fashion icon, Lauren Conrad and actress and author, Tori Spelling.

"I really lucked out because one of (Conrad's) friends just gave her one of my cards for her birthday and she shared it on her Instagram and ever since, we've had a relationship and we follow each other and like each other's pictures," she said.

Her success continued with a notable partnership with Spelling and Cupcake magazine that offered various giveaways, Astrauckas' cards being one of them.

Her talent hasn't gone unnoticed by those close to her either, including her friend and fellow CMU alumna Merissa Ferguson.

"I've been following Julie Ann Art since practically day one and I am super proud that Julie took what was a creative outlet and turned it into a thriving business," Ferguson said. "I truly believe the success of Julie Ann Art is because of her determination to provide quality products and stay true to who she is."

Ferguson said it's that very determination that inspires her, even long after their years at CMU.

"Julie taking a chance like this made me leap into starting my own photography business," Ferguson said. "I know that every ounce of her success is because of her determination and bravery in allowing herself to take chances."

Astrauckas is always looking for ways to take her business to the next level, one way being her participation in an exclusive gift lounge at the upcoming 2014 MTV Movie Awards, where she will provide samples of her products to attendees.

"I'm a member of the Artisan Group and they do gifting to exclusive gift lounges for various award shows and I decided to take part in this one because I thought it would be very fitting for my product," she said. "I will be sending cards and 100 attendees will be receiving a bag with my product in it – the goal being to get it in the hands of a celebrity."

Astrauckas attributes a lot of her success to good instruction from her professors at CMU, and encourages students who want to own their own business to value their education and be unique.

"Educate yourself. There's so many good resources you can use when it comes to owning and running your own business," she said. "I would also say make yourself stand out and be unique."

See Astrauckas' cards by visiting Julie Ann Art www.etsy.com/shop/JulieAnnArt.