COLUMN: Mount not-so-Pleasant

arinbisaro-7-web
Arin Bisaro | Staff Photographer Downtown Mt. Pleasant is a mecca of local business. Downtown is loaded with places to eat and things to buy.

In fall 2013, Central Michigan University’s on-campus undergraduate enrollment decreased from 18,686 students to 17,771. Many argue the university is to blame for the decrease in enrollment.

I have to disagree.

When I was contemplating which university I wanted to attend during my senior year, CMU’s seemingly rural location knocked it off my top-choice list.

I couldn’t see myself spending my undergraduate career here. It seemed like a small community and I wanted a campus where I could explore diverse surroundings.

When perspective college students visit CMU, they are left with an impression of Mount Pleasant largely defined by Mission Street. It’s busy, it’s impossible to make left turns on and it’s plastered with fast-food.

It isn’t Mount Pleasant.

I never knew there was a downtown Mount Pleasant until after I was already enrolled. There are many other entertaining activities and attractions that help define the city, but they remain largely out-of-view and hidden away from campus.

When perspective students are given a campus tour, they are informed about the programs and awards each department has, but they don’t truly discover what Mount Pleasant can offer.

Why don’t we inform our students that there are five golf courses? What about our 15 local parks? We even have a skydiving location that is 10 minutes from campus.

Additionally, there are many restaurants downtown that are much more appetizing than Mission’s fast-food – Dog Central, Camille’s on the River, Max & Emily’s Bakery and even a vegetarian/vegan restaurant with a full tea bar.

What Mount Pleasant needs is an effective public relations team.

Students need to know there is so much to do in Mount Pleasant other than getting drunk or gambling at Soaring Eagle. CMU and Mount Pleasant need to work together to promote the positive aspects of each. One cannot grow without the other.

Maybe then, prospective students will really appreciate the city and again consider attending our university.