Family of seven loses home in Saturday morning fire

dsc-0760

[gallery type="slideshow" columns="1" ids="184218,184219,184220"]

A family of seven lost their home in a house fire at 2185 Carter St. on Saturday morning.

No one was injured in the fire, which started in a closet on the lower level of the home, said Sgt. Richard Clark of the Mount Pleasant Fire Department. The exact cause is under investigation.

Firefighters were called to the house at 11:38 a.m. in response to a report of a structural fire. Clark said the first crews arrived on the scene at 11:41 a.m.

"There were flames visible from the front of the house when crews got here," he said. "As of now, all of the hot spots are under control and an investigation will be launched to determine the exact cause of the fire."

The home belonged to the Pego family, who have lived in the house for more than 10 years. According to one of the daughters, the family has a large support system in the area and will likely be staying with other family members until they can rebuild their house.

"I heard my bedroom windows crack just as we left. We got out right in time," she said. "At least everybody is safe. All of the stuff in the house is replaceable. We just have to remember that."

The Mount Pleasant Fire Department, Shepherd Fire Department and Tribal Fire Department were on the scene and were containing the blaze by 1:45 p.m.