Foley throws a complete game after rough second inning in CMU baseball win

Jordan Foley was avoiding pitching coach Jeff Opalewski at all costs after a double play ended the eighth inning of Saturday's 6-3 win against Buffalo.

The ace of the pitching staff had thrown more than 100 pitches and did not want to be pulled from the game. When Opalewski finally caught up with him, the coach's message took the junior by surprise.

"He said, 'hey you got this' so I turned and said, 'yes'," Foley said. "I knew my pitch count was up and I honestly thought I was done."

Foley finished what he started going all nine innings while allowing six hits, three earned runs and two walks while striking out 10. He ended the day throwing 130 pitches.

It was not all easy for Foley, however

The Bulls began the second inning by splitting the infield with a line drive into center field and scored the first run of the game on a double to the center field wall by the next batter.

It quickly got worse for the ace when a two-run home run by Buffalo's Kyle Brennan soon followed the double, giving the Bulls a 3-0 lead.

"I thought after the inning I was really going to have to battle," Foley said. "But I got into a groove."

Foley sat down the next 14 batters, a streak lasting from the second to the eighth inning.

"Sometimes three runs can happen in a hurry," said head coach Steve Jaksa. "It was all goose eggs after that and it gave us a chance to take a lead he wasn't going to give it back."

Huntey helped Foley get out of the second inning by throwing a baserunner out at second. He then went four-for-five with a double and three RBIs in the game as the offense picked up in support of Foley.

"It's a comfortable feeling knowing I can give up a few runs and the offense will have my back," Foley said.

Foley's outing was the early game of a doubleheader, following the second game he was feeling the damage of his performance.

"It feels like a I threw (130) pitches," Foley said. "I'll be fine"