Huntey collects five hits including a home run in double-header sweep over Buffalo

gc-baseballvsbuffalo55
Greg Cornwell/Staff Photographer The Central Michigan baseball team celebrates after defeating Buffalo on Saturday. The Chippewas won two games of a three game series against Buffalo this weekend.

Tyler Huntey is sometimes forgotten about at the top of the Central Michigan baseball line up.

He hits behind the “bash brothers” Nick and Logan Regnier who often get on base.

And behind him is one of CMU’s most dangerous hitters in first baseman Cody Leichman.

But on Saturday during a double-header against Buffalo, Huntey made sure that he would be the center of attention.

Huntey had five total hits against Buffalo on Saturday and batted in four runs.

As good as Huntey was on Saturday he gives all the credit to the Regnier brothers for getting on base ahead of him.

“No matter how well I’m doing it’s not going to help much,” Huntey said. “Nick and Logan did a really good job getting on base. Without them on base there isn’t any runners to bat in. We started each game with getting guys on base so that’s really helpful.”

And while he gave credit to the batters in front of him, his coach Steve Jaksa gave credit to the batter behind him.

“He swung it really well,” Jaksa said. “They know Cody is swinging the bat really well so they can’t pitch around Tyler. Today was Tyler’s turn to deliver. That’s what a team does, the better the hitters are the better you can protect throughout the line up. They know they have to pitch to Tyler when there are runners in scoring position.”

Huntey is a big reason that CMU swept Buffalo and remains undefeated in the Mid-American Conference at 8-0.

As a catcher, Huntey provides an uncommon offensive threat from the position.

Relaxation is key.

“I’ve learned to relax,” Huntey said. “I don’t really take anything too seriously. Hitting or catching it doesn’t matter either way, I see the ball and I react to it.”

His hitting coaches wanted to see more discipline from him and they got just that today.

Huntey didn’t strike out at all in the double-header.

“His discipline was good the whole day,” Jaksa said. “That’s really what we wanted him to do, be disciplined at every bat. That approach isn’t easy, great hitters know that. It’s really tough to do when you play a double-header. Tyler did a great job today.”

That discipline also allowed him to wait for the perfect pitch.

An up and in fastball that he crushed over the left field wall for a home run in the second game.