Major League Baseball pine tar rule needs to go

mlb

It is illegal for pitchers in Major League Baseball to use pine tar.

Should that change?

Yes.

Pine tar is a commonly used substance by hitters in the MLB. It is applied to bats in order to improve grip. It prevents slippage.

According to MLB, that is an acceptable use. Putting the substance on the inside of your glove or on your hand to improve your grip on a baseball, however, is not permitted.

Violators receive a 10-game suspension by the league office.

The most infamous incident regarding pine tar took place on July 24, 1983 during what is called the "pine tar game."

After hitting a home run to give his team the lead, Kansas City Royal George Brett was told by umpires that the amount of tar used on his bat was excessive. The home run was nullified and he was called out.

The incident was protested by the Royals. Then MLB Commissioner Lee MacPhail overruled the call on the field in the days that followed.

More recently, New York Yankees pitcher Michael Pineda was caught using pine tar on his neck. He was ejected by the home plate umpire and was dealt the standard 10-game suspension.

Pitchers know how important it is to be able to control their pitches. No pitcher wants to hit anyone with a 95 mph fastball.

We’re not talking about steroids or human growth hormone.

In no way are players intentionally using this substance to gain an advantage over hitters allowing for better movement on the ball.

MLB Commissioner Bud Selig issued a statement this week in regards to the Pineda incident.

“When the season is over, we ought to look at all this,” Selig told the Associated Press.

The league should not wait until the end of the season to change the rule.

Pine tar makes the game safer.

The MLB needs to stop the hypocrisy and quit holding pitchers to different standards than everyone else.