Police identify CMU student arrested following three sexual assaults

A3_ArrestShot

A 25-year-old Central Michigan University freshman was arrested at 3 a.m. Sunday, for fourth-degree criminal sexual conduct and assault and battery.

Mohammad Alradhi is accused of assaulting a female student on three occasions - April 8, 12 and 13. The assaults were reported to CMU police at 11:45 p.m. on April 13, according CMU Police Lt. Larry Klaus.

Klaus said the suspect was arrested after being interviewed at the CMU Police Department. The incidents occurred in a common area at the East Quad near Saxe, Herrig and Celani halls. The exact locations of the incidents, Klaus said, weren’t released to protect the identity of the female student.

“If we get super specific on the building, those details may precipitate her identity being revealed," Klaus said. "We have an obligation to protect that as much as we can.”

University Communications sent a notification to students around noon Monday to inform them about the investigation. Klaus said the alert was sent out because police had prior information of "inappropriate behavior" from the suspect. He said sexual assaults must be reported by federal law under the The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act.

"Law enforcement has had prior interaction with this individual," Klaus said. "We wanted to let the community know what happened and that an arrest was made."

CMU police gathered evidence and arrested the suspect after interviewing multiple witnesses.

“The victim involved, after the third incident, contacted the police department at around 11 p.m. After that, we did an investigation, interviewed people within the quad and spoke with the offender,” Klaus said. “Based on all that, we made an arrest.”

Fourth degree criminal sexual conduct is a two-year circuit court misdemeanor, and assault and battery is a 93-day misdemeanor. Fourth-degree CSC requires the suspect to be five years older than the victim, or to have used coercion to achieve the sexual contact, according to the Michigan Penal Code.