Walks lead baseball to clinch home series against Toledo

University of Toledo used two pitchers in the first inning, giving Central Michigan University baseball the opportunity to score six runs on one hit in a 10-4 win over the Rockets, Sunday.

Rockets starter Kyle Slacks walked five out of the seven batters he faced and was replaced by left-handed pitcher Steven Calhoun. A two-run single to center from CMU sophomore third baseman Morgan Oliver put the Chippewas on the board early.

"We had a feel before the game that (Slacks) wasn't in a good place," said head coach Steve Jaksa. "He just couldn't negotiate the strike zone and it made it a really difficult inning for him, one he couldn't get out of."

Calhoun eventually got the third out in the first inning and sent CMU down in order in the second and third inning.

Chippewas catcher Tyler Huntey delivered a two-run home run in the fourth inning giving CMU a 8-2 lead.

Designated hitter Cody Leichman also hit a towering homer in the eighth that cleared the scoreboard in right field. The home run marked Leichman's third this week and second in back-to-back days.

"(Huntey) had a big home run to make it 8-2 and distance ourselves out again," Jaksa said. "When we get base runners on you get those opportunities."

CMU started freshman left-handed pitcher Nick Deeg, who went 4 1/3 innings before leaving the game with the Chippewas up 8-3.

Sophomore left-handed pitcher Matt Trowbridge relieved Deeg and struck out six batters.

"The big thing was Matt Trowbridge came in and did a great job," Jaksa said. "I was really happy with Nick Deeg, too. He didn't walk anybody, he competed and did exactly what we asked him to do."

CMU will play at 4:05 p.m. Thursday against Michigan before heading to Eastern Michigan University next weekend for their final road Mid-American Conference series.