EDITORIAL: Special Olympics Michigan exemplifies the power of being inspired

As a particular point of pride for Central Michigan University and Mount Pleasant for more than half a century, the impact of Special Olympics Michigan on our greater community is enormous.

Calling CMU home since 1973, the organization and its summer games shares an essential philosophy with the university. By setting goals and achieving them through focused dedication, Olympians and their families show the world that nothing is impossible. They lead by example, enjoying every minute of it and never giving up, proving that they are indeed masters of their own destinies, unhindered by what society says they can or cannot do.

The summer games are exactly the kind event that people hear about, feel great about, but don't get a chance or have time to participate in as a volunteer.

For most students, time is often limited. During the summer months, most leave town to be with their families and friends, study abroad or to serve internships.

For those CMU students, faculty and staff who do stick around and so graciously volunteer their time, efforts, energy and hard-earned dollars to make sure the tradition of continues, the rewards of helping can be profound and endearing.

On May 29-31, the summer staff of Central Michigan Life got a first-row seat to the awe-inspiring summer games. We wrote stories detailing the different programs that make the games unique, but also the stories of volunteers and athletes who keep making SOMI bigger and better each year.

As a media sponsor for the event, we were just one small part of the puzzle that painted such a dazzling portrait of the human spirit and the innate joy of friendly competition.

Thank you, Special Olympics Michigan, for allowing us to tell the kinds of stories that remind us of how much we have to offer to our friends and neighbors, no matter how large or small the contribution.