Ashley Drake remembered for spontaneity, enjoyment of life

A showing was held this past weekend for Ashley Drake, a Central Michigan University senior who was killed in motorcycle accident over the Fourth of July weekend.

Drake, 22, of Six Lakes, was described as "bubbly, spontaneous" and even a little "bullheaded."

Drake was visiting friends made at CMU in Tennessee with her boyfriend, Kyle Lovell, also 22. Their three-day trip was extended to five days and were finally headed home Saturday evening when Lovell’s 2009 Yahama motorcycle crashed on the eastbound ramp to I-465 near Indianapolis.

"She had a really good outlook on life, she liked animals and being around people; she thought a lot of her family and friends," said Bill Knapp, Drake's stepfather.

According to Indiana State Police, the crash was a result of Drake adjusting her seat on the motorcycle, which caused Lovell to lose control of the bike and strike a guardrail. Both were wearing helmets, but Drake was thrown from the vehicle and died on-scene.

Lovell was transferred to Sidney and Lois Eskenazi Hospital in Indianapolis where he remains in critical condition.

Knapp said Drake embraced her impulsive side for the trip. Lovell and she decided to travel on a Sunday and left the following morning. Knapp said he and his wife Victoria attempted to talk them out of taking Lovell's motorcycle but failed.

Drake was in her fourth year at CMU. Knapp said she recently was interested in arts and education, after changing her major from biology.

"She had real pretty blue eyes and a very pretty smile," Knapp said. "She very was artistic. Ashley liked to write and wrote several short stories."

Drake leaves behind her parents and siblings, Lacey and Jake Drake and Aaron and Alec Gunn.

Drake graduated from Morley-Stanwood High School in 2010. She was a longtime member of the Winfield Hustlers 4-H Club.

Knapp said she was very involved in volunteer work and plans to host a memorial fund benefit for 4-H in a few weeks in Greenville.

Memorial services were held for Drake Saturday at Fremont Wesleyan Church. Visitation hours were held in Kroeze-Wolffis Funeral Home in Fremont Friday.

According to the Office of Student Affairs, Drake was not signed up for classes in the fall.