Women's basketball adds transfer student Harris

Central Michigan University women's basketball coach Sue Guevara will get the chance to coach Jasmine Harris after all.

The team announced Thursday that Harris, a student from the University of Massachusetts, will transfer to CMU in the fall. Harris is a graduate of North Farmington High School and was heavily recruited by Guevara her junior and senior seasons. UMass extended an offer to the 6-foot-1 guard before the Chippewas.

"Looking back, I didn't pull the trigger quick enough," Guevara said. "I'm glad she'll be here now though. She can potentially bring a dominant scoring presence that we will need by the tine she is eligible to play."

Per NCAA rules, Harris is required to sit one year, and will pick up in her junior season in 2015-16. The Chippewas will graduate several key seniors this winter including guards Crystal Bradford and Kerby Tamm.

"This is (Harris') year to learn," Guevara explained. "She'll benefit a lot from getting to work with some of our more experienced players and in the long run we will benefit from her being here."

Harris is no stranger to this year's Chippewas team. She played AAU ball with junior guard Da'Jourie Turner and Bradford.

"I ask (current players) about other players that are out there," Guevara said. "When it's her turn, she's going to have a big scoring role for us. We talked to her about that."

CMU romped UMass 105-61 during the Chippewas season opener in Amherst, Mass last season.

"We're getting a lot of really good experience with her," Guevara said. "Whenever you make this kind of move, you want to make sure it is the right fit. Our kids spoke very highly of Jasmine. She fits right in"