The Ragbirds performing as local charity continues to collect donations

Ann Arbor band the Ragbirds are set to perform at Max and Emily’s in support of local infant pantry, formed in memory of the owner’s deceased nephew.

Tim Brockman helped create the Central Michigan Chapter of the Red Cross’ Infant Pantry when his nephew suddenly died after birth. In 2008, he paired the start of the pantry with the Max and Emily’s Summer Concert Series.

The concert series has provided a fundraising venue for the Infant Pantry. The pantry helps provide basic necessities such as diapers, wipes and formula for infants in disadvantaged families on limited budgets.

“People who come to the pantry are the people who are in difficult situations with little money deciding if they are going to buy diapers or food,” said Carolyn Wilmot, coordinator for the pantry.

The charity asks for donations of baby products for newborns, such as diapers and formula, as well as cash donations.

Wilmot said fiscal donations are appreciated, but what the pantry really needs is supplies.

“We are in need of diapers now more than ever, especially sizes four and up,” she said.

The pantry provides aid on a monthly basis, helping more than 90 Mount Pleasant babies in the month of July alone.

Retuning performers, The Ragbirds are prepared to hit the stage for the final show of the summer Saturday, Aug. 23.

For the fourth year in a row, the Ann Arbor-based band will be filling the downtown area with its folk-rock style of music, enticing residents to get out of their seats and dance.

“We invite them every year, and they always give a knock-out performance,” said Tim Brockman, owner of Max & Emily’s “They are a phenomenal group we always enjoy having in the concert series.”

The Max & Emily’s Summer Concert Series, held in front of the sandwich shop at 125 E. Broadway Street, has been providing the downtown area with free live music for the last six years.

In previous years, the pantry has collected more than $2,900 to help support newborn children living in disadvantaged families in the Mount Pleasant area.

“We’ve collected over $3,000 this year so far, and we’ll probably collect more before the series ends,” Brockman said. “Who knows how much more we’re going to bring in as the series wraps up. We’re aiming for $5,000.”

The Ragbirds performance starts at 7 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 23 in downtown Mount Pleasant.

For more information about the pantry, or for help, call the Central Michigan Chapter of the Red Cross at 989-773-3615 or visit the pantry on Tuesdays or Thursdays at 215 E. Broadway Street.