Ziibiwing Center to host Grandparents' Day

ziibiwingcenter

Courtesy Photo | Saginaw Chippewa Indian Tribe of Michigan

Grandparents throughout the community will be able to enjoy the sights and sounds of the Ziibiwing Center of Anishinabe Culture and Lifeways in Mount Pleasant free of charge next month.

The center, located at 6650 E. Broadway Road, will allow grandparents from the Saginaw Chippewa Indian Tribe community, the Mount Pleasant community and people elsewhere to partake in exhibits for free from 10 a.m.-6 p.m. on Saturday, Sept. 5.

According to Administrative Assistant Tera Green, the staff has been hosting Grandparents’ day for at least five years. This year marks the center’s 10th year of operation.

Grandparents can go through the museum for free, Green said.

In addition to welcoming residents near and far, the event also is a way for the Ziibiwing Center to give back to the older members of the community.

According to Assistant Director Judy Pamp, the event is a way for the Ziibiwing staff to “show respect for their elders and the culture keepers in the community.”

Grandparents will be able to view multiple installments, including the center’s permanent exhibit, the annual rotating Debwewin/Truth exhibit dedicated to the Mount Pleasant Indian Industrial Boarding School, and the outdoor Plant Walk exhibit.

The center also will host a Monarch Butterfly Celebration from 1-4 p.m. on Sept. 13. 

For more information, visit the center’s website at sagchip.org/ziibiwing.