Highlights and lowlights of CMU's loss at Toledo

dsc_4807

| Photo Editor || Senior running back Thomas Rawls carries the ball past the Toledo defense Saturday at The Glass Bowl Stadium in Toledo, Ohio.

Here are the highlights and lowlights of CMU’s 42-28 loss to Toledo on Saturday.

Highlights:

Two great returns:, The Chippewas got back two major components of their offense in running back Thomas Rawls and senior wide receiver Titus Davis.

Rawls had missed CMU’s previous two games due to suspension and Davis had missed the previous three with injury.

Both playmakers made their presence felt against the Rockets.

In his return, Rawls rushed for 70 hard-fought yards on 17 carries and found the end zone twice.

Davis had seven catches for a total of 128 yards, including a big 40-yard reception late in the third quarter.

These two Chippewas should help the team compete with other Mid-American Conference teams as the season presses on.

Rush was revitalized: Quarterback Cooper Rush has received a fair amount of criticism in recent weeks.

After sub par performances against Syracuse and Kansas, the sophomore appeared more confident in the pocket during CMU’s first MAC game of the year.

Completing 24 of his 31 passes, Rush threw for 291 yards and two touchdowns.

He was picked off just one time in the loss to the Rockets ­– a good sign from a signal caller that has had turnover issues throughout his career.

Finishing the drive: A common theme for CMU against Kansas was reaching scoring position, but failing to do so.

If the game against Toledo is any indication, the Chippewas offense is finally starting to turn the corner and make the most of its chances.

In five red zone trips Saturday, CMU was able to convert on four of them. Each of those four conversions ended in a touchdown.

All four of CMU’s touchdowns came while inside of the Rocket’s 20-yard line.

Lowlights:

Dismal defense: The Chippewa’s defense deserves the most blame for CMU’s thirs consecutive loss.

The UT offense had its way with CMU, putting up 42 points on 72 total plays.

Toledo posted 543 yard on offense, including 339 passing by Rocket quarterback Logan Woodside.

If they want to keep up with the rest of the MAC, then the defense cannot afford to give up over 500 yards a game.

Done in by the dagger: Against Kansas and then on Saturday in Toledo, CMU failed to perform late in the game.

So far this season, the Chippewas have been outscored in the fourth quarter by a margin of 36-17 and were outscored eight to seven on Saturday.

While CMU has kept up with their opponents early, the final quarter of regulation has been the Chippewas biggest struggle thus far.

Putting up less than 20 points in the fourth quarter is not going to get it done against any Football Bowl Subdivision team.

As Toledo proved Saturday, a successful fourth quarter will go a long way toward obtaining a victory.